Sunday, 29 January 2012

A Crochet Challenge at Christmas

I was given a lovely supply of different coloured wool from my daughter and my mum at Christmas along with a challenge to create something from scratch, and to also finish it! After a recent visit to Malvern Flea market where I purchased a cute little vintage bedroom stool with a furry bright red cover, I thought it would be fun to crochet a cushion to compliment it.  On my travels around the many scrumptious crochet blogs before Christmas, I had come across a gorgeous daisy square pillow tutorial that had kindly been put together by the very talented Annette from myrosevalley.blogspot.com.  To find the instructions just look under her tutorial section. I knew that this was the perfect choice for the stool.
My eighty year old mother was staying with me at the time and although she usually uses a very tiny crochet hook as she likes working with very fine thread, I invited her to join me in the challenge.  We had such a fun time putting the colours together and deciding how we were going to go about creating what was to become ‘our’ masterpiece ~ lol! It's was also lovely to engage my mum in something that I knew would stimulate her and to be able to do something together.  Mind you, I notice I had to sew it up, but she did a few squares so I must not complain.


The cushion is made up of twenty eight squares. It was quite a challenge to try and get a different coloured centre with a contrasting outer row. The simple bit was doing the second row all in white. The squares were joined by using single crochet and putting two wrong sides together. I need to practice this a bit more but I'm sure I will improve over time ~ hahaha! I joined four at a time which gave me seven squares across. With hindsight I think I chose the wrong wool to do this as I thought it looked a bit flimsy although the overall effect looks ok.  







For the back of the cushion, I chose a few of the main colours and did four rows each of double crochet, with seven buttonholes (marked with thread). 




 I have to say that crochet is totally and utterly addictive and I have so many things that I want to do that retirement sounds more and more attractive as time passes.  My preference has always been to knit and although my mum taught me to crochet when I was younger, it has only been in recent weeks that I have come to understand why she loves it so much.   I’m still at the stage of getting to grips with a range of techniques and stitches but as my confidence grows I am looking forward to starting a blanket .......... or two!
When the back and front were finished I decided to join them on the inside (putting right sides together). If I were to do another one, I would do a single crochet on the outside as I think this gives a much neater finish.


I bought some lovely yellow spotty buttons to finish it off and hey presto! I'm really pleased with the result.





Sunny smiles ~ Haizi D x

8 comments:

  1. Wow - looks amazing! I've just rediscovered crochet too and yes, it really is addictive!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh...learning to crochet is so high up on my to do list now....sensational job xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love it. I have tried to learn in the past but never seem to follow through, maybe one day. The colours are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty cushion cover..love the colours. It goes well with the red stool you bought :) I need to learn how to crochet, I see so many lovely things (like your cushion cover) that I would like to make..perhaps I will have a go sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely that you got your mum involved in this amazing project... and what a result! The back is as beautiful as the front too. Well done!
    Hugs, Abby xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love accessories for the home to be in bright colours. I so wish I could crochet and knit, but alas never developed the skill! Keep up the good work, your makes are brilliant. I was wondering what you were up to! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot believe what you have created from these different colored wools. Amazing. You are so talented, just like your older sister lol. I love to see the end result of all of yr crochet work. FAB x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are now the crochet queen! Lovely work, will look splendid in your new home! Keep that hook working I might have to put in an order! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to all the lovely people who take the time to leave a comment ~ I appreciate each and every one of them ~ Haizi x