Thursday, 2 February 2012

My latest purchase ~ A Santos Cage Doll

I always look forward to getting out at the weekend and one of my favourite places is the Station Mill Antiques Centre in Chipping Norton. My husband and I popped out for a visit there a couple of weekends ago and I couldn’t believe it when I came across one of my favourite stalls selling, not just one, but two Santos wooden cage dolls. I know some people find them scary but I think they have a particular charm. Sadly, my house is bursting at the seams and against my better judgement I foolishly decided not to buy them.  They had a lovely old shabby time worn look about them although I know they probably weren’t original.


Throughout the following week, I couldn't stop thinking about them and knew in my heart that I should have followed my instinct.  I could picture them standing either side of my fireplace looking gorgeous. Anyway, by Friday my urge to drive all the way to Chipping Norton (it takes me nearly an hour) was getting the better of me and I said to my husband that we would have to go early on Saturday morning.  Bless him, he’s so used to just going wherever I want to go that he didn’t even complain. We got up bright and early and when we got to Station Mill, my underlying niggle was confirmed ~ one had already been sold. Still, I mustn’t complain, as I managed to get the other one and she is settling nicely into her new home, just waiting for me to make her an outfit.  Her right arm needs a bit of attention but otherwise she's in good condition. Now I will have to keep my eyes open for another one to match.


The Santos dolls take their name from the Spanish word for Saint, and are also known as Santons (French) and Santibelli (Italian). Often found in Portugese or Spanish communities they were originally created to use as personal altars at home, particularly in small villages that did not have a priest, or where it was not possible to travel to church, such as during times of war. Their development flourished in Europe in the 1700’s and 1800’s, and they were often elaborately dressed and adorned with crowns. A variety of different items often religious were placed in the cage. For further information see http://www.santoscagedoll.com/. They also have a lovely range of cage dolls and accessories for sale.


Warm hugs ~ at this particularly cold time ~ x Haizi

14 comments:

  1. She is lovely! That is a shame that the other one sold, but I hope you manage to find another matching one to go with her :) I hadn't ever heard or seen a cage doll before, thanks for sharing the information about them..very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post - I've never seen dolls like this before. She has a very serene face.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haizi, she is gorgeous....glad to know I'm not the only one who passes things by and then goes back and gets them. They creep into my thoughts in the wee small hours, that's how I know I must go back xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always find the best deals Haizi. I remember seeing these at the Fairfax Swap Meet and also the Long Beach Swap Meet, USA. This was a fantastic price and next time don't hesitate when u see them, buy them both lol. U have such good taste and I love everything that you buy and post x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never come across one of these santos cage dolls - she really is very striking and I'm so glad at least she was still there for you when you went back for her. I hate that feeling when I see something lovely but resist temptation only to have to return under the spell of whatever it was , and find it has gone! I have nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award and hope you will accept, though I won't be offended if you prefer not to! You can find more details about the award on my blog - used-to-bees.blogspot.com
    Alix
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. you caged doll is absolutely stunning. Your blog has some very interesting posts on it. Thank you....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I thought she was small until the last pic. I have never seen them before either. Nothing worse than that niggling feeling that you should have grabbed something. I found a deco cupboard which opened up with drawers inside. I was told it stayed a couple of weeks after my visit but by the time I made it back to the shop it had sold. :( Glad you were about to buy one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love yr caged Doll. Thanks for psoting the photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Missing your posts and looking to see what goodies you have managed to procure at the flea markets, Hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,
    I visited your blog today - I saw you on 'Teacups and Bunting.' Your blog is lovely. I have seen these Santos dolls before on other friend's blogs. They are very unique. While I was reading, I noticed that me and my daughters have alot of the same interests as you. We started a blog, and we would love it if you could visit us and follow. I would enjoy coming back to visit with you. Your blog is charming, and it is cheerful to me. I hope to hear from you, and have a sweet day.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! She is a treasure!
    Your blog is so much fun . . . absolutely lovely.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to all the lovely people who take the time to leave a comment ~ I appreciate each and every one of them ~ Haizi x